Geocaching events are very welcoming to geocachers of all ages and experiences. Events are going to be the best and usually most fun way to meet other geocachers in your area.
So after attending many here in Minnesota, here are some ideas/tips I have put together for putting on a successful geocaching event:
- Find a local city or county park to host at. One that has free admittance and a place to setup food/snacks/coffee for attendees.
- Have a theme! Maybe it's Halloween or Valentine's or something more fun and nerdy like a 12-13-14 event
- Consider doing it as a potluck! And then have some fun with the food suggestions. Maybe tell geocachers to bring a dish that starts with the same letter as their geocaching handle
- Make up some local trivia for the group to participate in and give away a prize. Maybe design an event geocoin or pathtag. You can sell them at the event too
- Put together a list of all the geocaches that are in the area. Maybe do a raffle for anyone that finds them all during your event
- Schedule a group picture. Everyone loves a photo!
Have you hosted a geocaching event and have other ideas or tips you'd like to share? Or maybe you've attending a really fun themed event, please let us know about it by commenting on this post.